Friday, August 1, 2008

The Flower Fairy. Like the Tooth Fairy, only better.

A few weeks ago, Roo, Raven and I walked to a street in the neighborhood that we rarely make it to on our walks. We saw an amazing purple garden in someone's front yard. The owner was out pulling weeds, so we chatted for a while about how long we've lived here, where we moved from, etc. Then we said goodbye. But I stopped in my tracks because the purple garden around their mailbox put our entire yard to shame. I wanted to learn the name of a certain purple plant so I could add it to our collection. The owner found his wife and she was so tickled that someone liked her purple garden, she invited us to tour their whole yard! We got to the back yard and she said "This Siberian Iris is just too big and we were about to divide it. How about you take a clump?" Sure! So we dug it up and brought it home, Roo planted it a couple nights later. It will have purple blooms next year.

Fast forward about a month.

Yesterday morning, I was taking the last sips of my Caramel Cafe flavored coffee drink...and I sneezed. Since I was on the front porch, I had a witness. The woman walking across the street was Susie, The Great Gardener from a few weeks ago. She blessed my sneeze and then realized who I was...
So she came closer to the house and I walked her through our yard so she could see that her contribution to our garden had a good home. We chatted some more about yard work and plants, then we went our separate ways.

This morning, not even an hour ago, I had my usual cup of coffee on the porch again. I ate my bagel and washed it down with the last sips of caramel yumminess. I got up, turned around to go back inside, and there it was next to the door... A grocery bag filled with Russian Sage (I think I have the name right). I am sure it has to be from Susie. We have another gardener across the street, but I don't think she has this plant in her yard. Since it is purple, it must be from Susie. But there is no note, and I want to know who to thank for it!

3 comments:

ChrisandMissy said...

That's really sweet! You guys are really getting to know your neighborhood. Do you always enjoy breakfast on the front porch?

d said...

So sweet!! =)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! What a great way to make friends in the neighborhood. Enjoy your garden.