Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Firetrucks, Ambulances, and Driveway Ice Skating. Oh My.

Last night, Roo was in the kitchen during a commercial break. Our dining room shades were open and he could see a bunch of flashing red and white lights. I know what you're thinking, and no. Santa did not come early this year. Our next door neighbor fell earlier in the day and felt the need to be rushed to the hospital 8 hours later. I am told by her son and daughter in law that she does this every now and then. Thankfully, she will be just fine. I called next door to see if they needed a babysitter or anything after the EMT's left but Momma was already at home with the kids. Problem solved.
While the firetruck and ambulance were still in front of our house, a good friend across the street saw, and she thought there was something going on here. As I was clearing things up with her, another couple called. They drove by to check on their new house and saw all the excitement going on and they thought it was me in the ambulance. Whew. Did ya follow that?
A couple hours later, we were slip sliding away on our driveway trying to get in the truck. Our neighbor saw us making fools of ourselves and offered to throw some salt on our driveway while we scurried to Blockbuster to avoid late fees. We were seriously gone for 5 minutes, and upon our return we saw ice melting on our driveway AND our sidewalk! How thoughtful!
Andrew and I sat down after all that and realized we're surrounded in our neighborhood by people who genuinely care about us. It's such a change from apartment life in Columbia and condo life in Elkridge that it makes me downright giddy.

Winter has been here for about a month now. I just checked the forecast and it seems I should dig out my warm hat...Next Monday's high temp is 15...and the low is 14. I think it'll be a cold one.

4 comments:

ChrisandMissy said...

What sweet neighbors! I'm glad you guys live where you do. =)
I'm also glad you guys are leaving those nice folk and coming here soon. We'll be friendly to you.

d said...

Aw! It's so nice to have friendly neighbors! :)

Allison said...

What a great neighborhood! You're very lucky to have relationships with them!

HorribleLicensePlates said...

It felt like -34 here today. I wanted to strangle the weather man.